Games for 1 - 2yrs The Best Pay Dough Recipe!
This is quite simply the best play dough recipe ever - and there are hundrends out there. I have spent many hours / days / weeks up to my elbows in various mixtures of salt flour and water but this one works really well every time. It is so much fun, very cheap to make and a fantastic way to spend time doing messy play at home.
Please read it all through first - it is really easy but there are a few tips along the way and if you know what they are in advance it helps.
You will need:
1 cup = 8fl oz= 235mls use the same measurement units for each ingredient ie stick with cups / fl oz etc.
- salt - budget cooking salt is the best - 1 & 1/2 cups
- oil - just cheap vegetable oil is perfect - 1/2 cup
- 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 2 cups of water with some food colouring of your choice - have another cup on stand by in case you need it
- 3 cups of flour - budget plain flour is best
Get a large mixing bowl and add the ingredients one at a time in the order that they are listed. Have faith! It does go through a stage of looking like a diaster! After adding the 2 cups of water followed by the flour mix the mixture with a metl spoon (it can be any spoon or your hands but a metal one is easier to clean. Initially the mixture will look like a lumpy soup, then as you carry on mixing the lumps break down and more flour gets into the mix so it does look more like dough.
If it is sticky then add more flour.
If it is too dry / crumbley add more water
This makes a large amount of dough - I pick up a large handful, and knead it in my hands over the sink adding more flour as I go if needed then once it is no longer sticky you can use it as play dough.
- This does make industrial amounts, it might be an idea to invite friends around with their kids and each make some in different colours / some people bring cake and let every child take a lump of play dough home with them to keep.
- It will keep for over a month if well looked after. When your little one has finished playing with it collect all the play dough up and store it in an air tight box / wrap in cling film.
- You can add glitter to make it sparkle, you can add things to make it smell nice but then your kids may try to eat it - it is completely safe to eat but not recommended due to the salt content.
Please let me know how you get on - I have given this recipe to lots of people to use and all have found it easy. If it is a particularly hot / cold day you will need varying amounts of flour and water but it will ALWAYS work.
Click on the stars to rate